There is a very old Chinese acupressure technique called Reflexology that works on energy pathways of the body to improve issues that are tied to several pressure points.
These points are connected or reflex channels are connected to all the glands, organs, and tissues of the body. There are ultra-microscopic channels just as we have micro-vessels for blood and oxygen circulation. They are a system of tiny energy tubes that run vertically down the front then up the back of the body. Some reverse at the hands and feet triggering it to open or empty blocked energy.
These channels are part of our physiology, they are not understood well or used as much as they should be. These reflexology points correspond with particular areas of the body. Think of a time when you scratched your leg and felt a twinge of pain, possibly sharpness in the rib cage or maybe stepped on something sharp but felt the pain up into your back.
WHY DO REFLEXOLOGY?
We can improve our flexibility, functionality and circulation by stimulating these neural pathways. We can use specific pressure points in our hands, feet, face, and even our ears to reduce mental and physical stress. Using these pressure points has even been used to aid in minimizing addiction to smoking for decades. There are seven meridians on each foot, parallel to the length of your foot.
BENEFITS OF REFLEXOLOGY:
By releasing the tension and opening energy pathways, reflexology can help relieve or eliminate:
- Back Pain
- Nasal problems or sinus congestion
- Digestive or indigestion issues such as ulcers, gas, heartburn or acid reflux
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Menstrual disorders
- Neck pain
- Headaches including migraines
- Knee pain
- Stress management
- Shoulder tension
- Toothaches (message me for specifics)
- Ankle, elbow or knee pain due to arthritis
- Lung issues including cough
- Sore throat
- Food cravings
CAN REFLEXOLOGY HURT ME?
There are limitations to reflexology to be considered. It can not heal in of itself but is a modality and remedy to encourage your body to do so. There are a few things to keep in mind.
- It can decrease symptoms short term basis as well as improve symptoms in the future.
- Applying pressure on the wrong pressure point will not give relief but it may lead to another issue.
- Too much pressure than required may create pain at the point or part of the body intended to help.
- It is not to be used in place of conventional medicines to cure higher stages of illness
WHAT WILL YOU FEEL WHEN YOU PRACTICE REFLEXOLOGY?
For the most part, wonderful! If your feet hurt to be rubbed, you need reflexology to literally rub the pain out of the tied up channels and muscles. It can indicate stuck or blocked energy.
As you push or rub the different areas of your hands or feet it may feel like crystals of sand or crunching. Start gently then apply pressure to the points that are connected to the different areas. If it is more tender, it may need more attention in that point within your body. When the channels open the energy will flow to the gland or organ that the meridian is connected to and with regular sessions, help them stay open.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU RUB WITH REFLEXOLOGY?
Reflexology is very safe modality but there are a few considerations to be made.
- Don’t be overaggressive and be patient. It may be sore, tender or even painful but again, that indicates the need to be persistent even if it takes months or longer to soften the pressure point.
- Do not stay in the same position on the hand or feet for more than a minute or two.
- Limit sessions to 10-15 minutes for 2-3 times a day.
- If using tools or pressure point balls (great for Plantar Fasciitis) make sure they are not sharp.
Regularly doing reflexology can improve blood circulation, energy levels, memory, nerve functions, metabolism, skin disorders and tone, mental disorders, healing, the immune system, and eye sight. It also increases detoxification through blood and lymph pathways. The benefit of triggering the relaxing hormones is a reduction of any frustration, irritability or anger. It can also release serotonin and dopamine which are our “happy hormones”.
Reflexology can be done for free at home by yourself or with another, on any age of individual, is not painful, and has NO side effects. Learn more on detox modalities!
Who doesn’t like a good foot rub right?
Copyright Scientific Nutrition, LLC 2020