How do you know what supplements you should take or need?
Before you guess and take a Calcium supplement, let’s dig in to make sure it is right for you.
The typical over the counter or online ordering supplements are based on a RDA or Recommended Daily Allowance. These are minimums set to avoid serious health issues. For example, the amount of Vitamin C that is recommended to avoid rickets or scurvy (think pirates devoid of fresh produce) is 65-90 milligrams a day. The maximum is 2,000 mg and beyond that, it is not harmful but may cause diarrhea. This water-soluble Vitamin is urinated out if not used and many have found their personal need to be up to 20,000 mg a day before motility is affected. Calcium however is a fat-soluble mineral so it needs careful consideration.
So how do you know if your body needs more or less?
Hair Analysis is the answer. By measuring where you are now, you can know where you need to be for the best quality of health.
I’ll be looking at the 4 major electrolytes closer to shine a light on just how important balance is with each over the next few weeks so you can understand their impact on your overall health. We all know Calcium is important for our bones as a low level can cause osteoporosis but it also affects so much more. It is one of your 3 calming minerals (Magnesium and Zinc are the others).
When one is low, they can suffer physically with:
- Muscle cramps or tightness including heart angina
- Have severe allergies
- Hyperthyroidism, impaired thyroid function, or Grave’s Disease
- Hyperadrenalism or Cushing’s Disease triggered by constant fight-or-flight reactions
- Blood and cellular sugar imbalance
- Heart arrhythmias or palpitations
- Extreme anxiety and panic attacks
- Nervous and irritable
Psychologically they may be:
- Very sensitive or over-reactive
- Paranoid and suspicious of people
- Sexually overactive
- Mildly depressed
- Abnormally masculine or forward in behavior
When someone has a toxic amount of Calcium we call it a Calcium Shell. They can suffer from:
- Adrenal exhaustion
- Muscle cramping, weakness or tightness; achiness, arthritis, depression or despair
- Calcium deposits in the kidneys, brain, arteries, joints, and old injuries
- At high levels, it is linked with a tendency for cancer
- They have slow metabolisms causing some weight issues, insulin resistance, and exhaustion
Psychologically they may be:
- Guilt founded or not
- Spaciness, hiding or checked out from reality
- Copper imbalances causing emotional upset or a self-defense mode (I have seen schizophrenia Correlated with this and resolved with my client)
There a many forms of Calcium but the two that are most common. Calcium Citrate which is most absorbable and won’t cause stomach upset. Calcium carbonate is the cheapest form but should be taken with meals for maximum absorption in the stomach acid and is more likely to cause gas and bloating. Vitamin D is the first key to ensure the Calcium is getting into the bone as well as Magnesium. If the Calcium isn’t in balance with Magnesium you can actually strip Calcium from the bones and have diarrhea or deposit excessive Calcium onto bones or tissues. You can learn more about Magnesium deficiency in another blog.
I often see individuals with low levels purging it in their urine and they are lacking the ability to purge toxic heavy metals. At times calcium will act as a bandage on the bone to close off a toxic metal such as lead or within heart tissue along with fat (atherosclerosis) to block a leaky artery. When this bio-unavailable “junk” Calcium is removed by the body, normal levels are restored. The body can then dump the toxic metal and rebuild the bone or tissue as it should have been.
That is where I step in to help my clients with the detoxification modalities and Herxheimer reactions/retracing symptoms of the heavy metals eliminating. We don’t want to stop the process as it does facilitate healing but we need to manage the symptoms so we are comfortable enough to go through our day. Once the toxins are clear and your nutritional levels are rebuilt, your health challenges improve if not disappear in time.
Contact me for a complimentary consult to CHAT and to get you started on your health journey today!
Copyright Scientific Nutrition, LLC© 2020